Thursday, April 2, 2009

Passing Out and Passing

One thing a I think a pregnant woman should never have to do is fast. Unfortunately, there is one instance where you are required to do so, and that is if you fail your one hour glucose test (to see if you have gestational diabetes). Somehow, I managed to fail this test, which meant I had to take a 3 hour GTT (glucose tolerance test) for which one has to fast for 12hour prior to taking the test. Then you have to go to a lab where they take your blood, then make you drink a highly concentrated glucose drink (it tasted like concetrated orange soda). Then, you sit around in the lab, and every hour, for 3 hours, they take your blood...or that is what is supposed to happen.
As you all might have read earlier in my blog, I don't do well when I haven't eaten anything or been able to drink much. Early in the pregnancy, I passed out because I had been throwing up so much that I got too dehydrated. Well, this was the case with the 3 hr GTT.
I went to the lab early Tuesday morning, tired, nauseous, thirsty, and very hungry. After they took my blood, I gulped down the orange nastiness, and awaited my 2nd blood draw. I had brought books to read, and thank you cards to write while I was there because 3 hours is a long time, but unfortunately, little reading or thanking was accomplished. After about 30mins into my first hour, I started feeling tired and then jittery. I managed to make it through the first hour with little problems, although I couldn't conentrate on anything. Then, during my second hour, I started to feel even more dizzy and nauseous, and proceeded to throw up. I put cold water on my neck and forehead, and paced around and tried to aviod hitting the floor, which I did so successfuly and made it to my 2nd hour. The third hour did not go as well. About 20mins into my 3rd hour, I realized I was not going to make it. I tried any possible remedy to prevent from passing out, but realized nothing was working. Knowing what was about to happen, I walked back to the lab technician and told him I was about to pass out. He said, "Oh, are you feeling a little dizzy", to which I responded, "No, I am going to pass out now". I sat in a chair, and proceeded to do just that. I was only out a few seconds, and fortunately, I sat down fast enough that I did not hit the floor. The lab techs held me in the chair until I was stable enough to walk to a stretcher and lay down. I felt much better after about 10mins, and fortunately, they were able to do my finaly blood draw so that I would not have to repeat the test. I think I scared the lab tech to death, though.
I felt much better after I left, though, and took a nice nap that morning when I got home. I had predicted that I was going to pass out, and low and behold, I was right. Fortunately, after all that excitment, I passed my test and do not have gestational diabetes. Hooray!! I hope that next pregnancy I will pass the one hour test, because I will certainly not be doing that all over again!!

No comments: