Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Maternity" Clothes

So, I have decide that only buying maternity clothes while I am pregnant might be a waste of money, and in addition, is kind of limiting. Before I was pregnant, I thought that maternity clothes were so cute, but for some reason, now I am not loving them. I mean, some things are really adorable, but a lot of it is frumpy looking, or made for older/working moms, or is just ridiculously expensive (i.e. anything full priced at Pea in a Pod). Since I wear scrubs all day long, I don't need suits or nice dress up stuff, but I do need t-shirts and sweaters, and clothes to wear when I am hanging out with friends.
Well, after getting tired to looking at the same clothes at Target and appalled at the quality/style of clothes at motherhood maternity, I decide to venture outside of the normal pregnancy clothing hot spots.
Yesterday, Megan and I went to the Gap outlet in Alexandria where we both found lots of great shirts that were super cheap. Most of them worked great for me, even though I am 6 months pregnant, and the great thing about it is, they will still work when I am not pregnant. I also I have ventured into Forever 21 (yes, I am 25y.o., but who cares) and after sorting through their piles and piles and racks and racks of clothes, I found some great clothing items. It seems like the style these days is very maternity friendly. I found 2 great dresses that no one would ever know where not maternity. I know I am going to have to switch over to mostly maternity clothes my last month, but for now, I am enjoying not having to pick through the small maternity section.
Another things I discovered is that EBay is a great way to go for designed maternity jeans. I was getting sick and tired to wearing the same pair of jeans every day, but I was also not ready to pay $230 for a pair of 7 for all Mankind at Pea in a Pod. I had heard that EBay was a great way to go to get designed jeans for cheap, but I was a little frightened to go that route. Finally, after trying on a pair of jeans at Pea in a Pod, I got hooked and decided to venture out of my comfort zone (most who know me, know that I am NOT technologically savvy). My first attempt was a bust. I lost my bid in the LAST 3 SECONDS. It was so depressing. I sat and watched as I my bid still stood strong and then in the last 3 seconds someone out bid me and I could not put in a higher bid fast enough...sad. I almost gave up and was thinking about just buying the jeans at full price, but decided that I would stand by the motto, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Well, I did try again, and this time, I was victorious. I set my maximum bid at a price I was willing to pay and low and behold a day later, I checked my email and saw that I had won!! I was at work when I found out, and almost started jumping up and down. I think my coworkers thought I was crazy. I just got them in the mail yesterday, and they are great. I would highly recommend going that route for anyone who really wants a pair of designer maternity jeans but isn't willing to pay full price. I would also recommend buying maternity designer jeans versus the regular designer jeans b/c that elastic band around the waste is far more forgiving than the tight zipper and button.
Anyway, that is a lot of rambling about maternity clothes, but I was so excited about my new discoveries, I had to share. I will post some pictures of my new "maternity" clothes soon.

No comments: